Welcome to the website for the RUMBA Program at OSU!
About the Program:
The RUMBA (Research for Undergraduates: adventures in Mathematical Biology and its Applications) program at OSU is an NSF-funded initiative to facilitate undergraduate research at the interface of mathematics and biology. OSU undergraduates have the opportunity to participate in the program in various ways, ranging from enrolling in newly-developed coursework to working as an Undergraduate Research Fellow (URF) in an intensive, funded research experience. This website provides a great deal of information concerning the program -- please visit the links above. For futher information, please feel free to contact any of the affiliated faculty.
Spring Semester 2013 EventsEEOB 4990/MATH 4990 - Undergraduate Seminar in Mathematical Biology Research
When: Tuesdays, 1:50PM - 2:45PM
Where: Smith Lab 2186
What: This seminar course consists of presentations of research in mathematical biology at OSU, with an emphasis on evolutionary biology, ecology, neuroscience and cell biology. Seminars will be geared toward biology and mathematics undergraduates, including freshmen. Seminars will be presented by OSU faculty in the departments of Evolution, Ecology and Organismal Biology, Statistics and Mathematics, as well as postdoctoral fellows, graduate students and undergraduate research fellows. This seminar series will also serve as an introduction to the undergraduate research program in Mathematical Biology at OSU.
Fall Semester 2012 EventsEEOB 4990/MATH 4990 - Undergraduate Seminar in Mathematical Biology Research
When: Tuesdays, 1:50PM - 2:45PM
Where: Campbell Hall 0119
Summer Semester 2012 EventsPizza Party Kick-off was held on Wednesday, June 20. Alll RUMBA URFs presented an overview of their research.
RUMBA Presentation Day August 9, 2012 -- View the schedule of talks here.
RUMBA URF wins OSU award (Winter 2013)
- RUMBA URF Yingle Zhang has been awarded a College of Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Research Scholarship. Yingle's mentors in the RUMBA program are Drs. Andrea Wolfe and Laura Kubatko. Yingle also participated in the MBI's Summer Undergraduate Research Program, where she was mentored by Drs. Dennis Pearl and Laura Kubatko.
RUMBA URF wins OSU award (Winter 2012)
- RUMBA URF Hang Guo has been awarded a College of Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Research Scholarship. Hang's mentors in the RUMBA program are Drs. Julia Chifman and Laura Kubatko.
RUMBA URF publishes research
- David Gerard, one of the first group of URFs in our RUMBA program, has published the research he carried out while he was a RUMBA URF. Click here to see David's paper.
RUMBA URFs win awards at 2011 Denman Undergraduate Research Forum
- Tim NeCamp and Susan Fassnacht, 3rd place, Math and Physical Sciences Division (Faculty mentors: Laura Kubatko and Andi Wolfe)
RUMBA URFs present their research nationally!
During summer 2010, several of our RUMBA URFs are presenting their research at national meetings:
- David Gerard, Evolution 2010 (June)
- Elizabeth Hoskins, Animal Behavior Society (July)
- Kyle Lyman, Organization for Human Brain Mapping (June); Society for Neuroscience (November)
- Kyle Lyman and Brian Myers, Organization for Computational Neuroscience (July)
RUMBA URFs win awards at 2010 Denman Undergraduate Research Forum
- Kyle Lyman, 1st place, Psychology (Faculty mentor: Dave Terman)
- Grant Oakley and Rich Gallenstein, 2nd place, Biological Sciences (Faculty mentors:Janet Best, Math/MBI; David Somers, PCMB)
- Erinne Kennedy, 3rd place, Environmental Sciences (Faculty mentors: Kate Calder, Statistics; Tim Buckley, CPH)
RUMBA URFs win OSU awards
- Undergraduate Research Fellows Soojin Park and Joshua Leirer have been awarded the Mathematical and Physical Sciences SHARP Memorial Scholarship. Soojin's mentors in the RUMBA program are Drs. Libby Marschall and Yuan Lou. Joshua's mentors are Drs. Joe Tien and Song Liang.
- Undergraduate Research Fellow David Gerard has been selected to be honored by President Gee at the annual President's Salute to Undergraduate Achievement. David's mentors in the RUMBA program are Drs. Kubatko and Gibbs.
Congratulations to all the RUMBA URFs on their outstanding achievements!!